PG Music Home
Hello
Just bought a new Laptop, the one in use is well past its sell-by date.
I was planning to copy the BIAB and RealBand folders from old to new laptop and in the process separate the RealTracks & Drums folders to an external drive.
I realise that I will need to install the actual programmes on the new machine to register fonts etc, and that I will need to redirect to the correct storage areas in preferences.
Anyone know of any problems doing this, will it work?
Thanks in advance
Vintage
Manually moving folders often times causes problems with Band-in-a-Box not finding RealTracks or other files properly. It's safest to simply run the installers that came with your package and during the install process select the new location as the install destination. How this is done is slightly different depending on whether you have access to the Install Manager program for a newer version, or if you are manually installing due to having an older version. If you contact us directly, we can look to see what you have and give more precise instructions accordingly. You can come onto live chat or email support@pgmusic.com.
Vintage, I’ve been doing what you propose for 15 years.

Chantelle, does a list of those ‘problems’ exist?

I’m puzzled by your answer because Vintage only refers to moving the RealTracks and Drum folders. The installers account for people wanting to do that.
Thanks, Matt that sounds encouraging.

Chantell, I have numerous packages, probably going back to the last century smile , so I am trying to avoid a lengthy sort and re-install.

Vintage
Vintage,

Every time I get a new computer, I do exactly what Matt does and what you propose. I've never had any issue and doing it this way has allowed me to retain the things I've collected over the years that are no longer available today.

--Noel
Thanks Noel,

Vintage
Originally Posted by Noel96
Vintage,

Every time I get a new computer, I do exactly what Matt does and what you propose. I've never had any issue and doing it this way has allowed me to retain the things I've collected over the years that are no longer available today.

--Noel

Same here. I also have all of the RTs, RDs, MSTs, and styles saved on external HDs.
In support of the comments by others, that your method to install should not have any issues. Especially seeing that you have a number of separate add-ons in your current installation.
Not sure about the size of the SSD in your laptop Vintage, I take it you are doing what you propose to save space on that Drive.

Others can correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't it be marginally faster, other than having the Realtracks/realdrumns installed on a separate external drive to have them instead on an internal SSD.

SSD are not that expensive, I got a 2TB one last year from Amazon for £100 or so.

Good luck with the new laptop.

smile
Not only do I agree with this, but it’s what I do. My RealTracks and RealDrums are on their own internal SSD. I did have to omit some RealTracks I will probably never use, to fit the audiophile version onto a 2TB drive. I could always grab them from the PG Music USB drive if needed.
© PG Music Forums