Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#810750 05/19/24 10:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's been a while since I've posted a song here with the things that were going on earlier this year... it's been a struggle at times.

This song style is a little bit different for me, but it was fun trying to make it work. It's kind of a melancholy dark song. Recorded with a very basic, stripped down to the essentials kind of a mix. There is one vocal track, one piano track, and one pad track. I did add a bass using the pad to the second version.

The particulars: This was a song that I was unable to get a good Band in A Box style to match so I eventually gave up after several weeks of trying. So yeah, this is not using any BB tracks. I really did expend a lot of effort to try to get this into a useable style but nothing was working. I decided to simply play all the parts myself. Solaria is singing it, I'm playing the piano and the pad strings/bass. The piano is the Kontakt Medium Grand and the pad/bass is the Dimension LE warm pad. It was very refreshing to put the guitar down for a while and let myself have fun on the piano.

OBSERVATIONS: Two versions: One is simply piano and pad with no bass until the last note. Second version has bass in the choruses. Let me know which you like better. I hear a few nits in this and if there's something that sticks out to you, let me know. Also, I wasn't quite sure what to call it. Shattered Reflection or Strength To Carry On but for now..... it's "Strength To Carry On"

All comments and critiques are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's good to be back!!!

Strength To Carry On

Strength To Carry On ( with bass )

Lyrics:

Strength To Carry On

(V 1)
Lost and broken
Searching for a way
Through the wreckage of another day
Survivors struggling
Hearts in disarray
But we're still standing
Come what may

(V 2)
Eyes filled with tears
That we can't hide
Our heavy hearts
Like anchors deep inside
In this journey of grief
Where we often collide
But we keep moving
Side by side

(Chorus)
With every step we stumble and we fall
But we rise We rise above it all
In this shattered reflection We find strength to carry on
Even as our broken heart's bleed
We stand strong against the storm
But we rise We rise above it all
In this shattered reflection We find strength to carry on

break....

(V1) repeat

(V 3)
In the silence of night
We face our fears
The scars we bear
Tell the tales of our tears
In this darkness
We see the light
Guiding us through
We keep moving
Side by side

(Chorus)

Copyright 2024 Herbert Hartley

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

A moving, beautiful and all around amazing song...

And the production is just superb.

Loved it all.

Bob

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Herb,

You may have been away a bit . . . and this may be something different from you . . . but, boy, it's moving and emotional. Nice write as well. I like it a ton. Going to listen to the bass version now, but like the simplicity of this. That said, I could also see you interweaving some strings into this production. A cello perhaps to give it some bottom.

Ok, listened to the chorus on the second version. Mind you, I'm just listening over my laptop, so grain of salt stuff. I would make the bass more prominent . . . after listening to both, I do think having more of a bottom under that piano would give the song some richness. I'd go for a single note bass (held) and look to add a cello. But of course, that's just my way of thinking . . . and you ultimately should do what you feel is best and what sounds right to you as the artist.

It's a terrific tune just as is, quite honestly.

Deej

User Showcase
I
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I
Hi Herb.
Nice song and your piano parts are good. It is a highly emotive song and I believe that it requires a real person to
convey the passion of its message.

btw Did you try POPPNOL.STY (Pop Piano Liverpool Ballad) slow tempo around 60-65 ?

User Showcase
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
Hello
I think you did well to follow your instinct because the voice piano pairing works very well. Solaria's voice is very well mastered. Honestly, you can barely hear the bass and I had trouble differentiating the two versions. It's a good song and you show that with a few instruments you can do beautiful things.
Laurent

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Herb, welcome back! This is a really nice song, and you've done some great voice programming here. Really like your piano part, and don't think BiaB can do anything as sweetly nuanced as what you've done here. In my view the bass doesn't add anything, but it's barely there anyway. But LOVE the tune!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rsdean
Herb,

A moving, beautiful and all around amazing song...

And the production is just superb.

Loved it all.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I'm glad you like it.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Deej56
Herb,

You may have been away a bit . . . and this may be something different from you . . . but, boy, it's moving and emotional. Nice write as well. I like it a ton. Going to listen to the bass version now, but like the simplicity of this. That said, I could also see you interweaving some strings into this production. A cello perhaps to give it some bottom.

Ok, listened to the chorus on the second version. Mind you, I'm just listening over my laptop, so grain of salt stuff. I would make the bass more prominent . . . after listening to both, I do think having more of a bottom under that piano would give the song some richness. I'd go for a single note bass (held) and look to add a cello. But of course, that's just my way of thinking . . . and you ultimately should do what you feel is best and what sounds right to you as the artist.

It's a terrific tune just as is, quite honestly.

Deej

Thanks for listening and your observations. I wanted it to be as simple as possible and was even hesitant to add the string pad.... so the "bass" is intentionally kept light in the mix. If you have good cans or a sub, it's pretty obvious but yep, on laptop speakers, it's going to be hard to hear. It's the same string pad as I used for the strings but played on the lowest keys on the keyboard I have.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Herb, I really couldn't decide which version was better.
Personally I think upping the volume of the pad and the pad and bass would improve the song, but that is just my opinion. Note I listened with both my near field monitors and my AKG headphones.
Regardless this is a very good song.
Great job on that synth vocal.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It sounds fabulous but the inflection of grief struck me as a bit odd.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice job on the piano.
I listened to the version with the bass but couldn't really hear the bass (on quality speakers). Bass isn't really necessary here, but a piano with more depth would help (this one sounds like it it would be great in a lo-fi production - but that's all subjective).
The melody on the chorus is the really nice. Best thing about the song.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I gave you my thoughts in the Nashville songwriters meeting this month and I guess I'll stick to that.

As I said then I love the potential of this song and I think some really wonderful things are going on.

To me the piano playing is beautiful.

I think the lyrics are on the right track for sure, and for sync music there is a fine line between lyrics that don't make any sense and lyrics that make too much sense.

To a certain extent they should be kind of vague, for sync.

So these are the kind of lyrics that don't really make sense or "shine" outside of the context of the music that they are wedded to, but that's okay, because that's the way it's supposed to be, for this type of ethereal sync song.

I think I told you that I spent a long evening many years ago with a guy who was at that time one of the most famous rock and roll singer songwriters on the planet. While we were sitting on the hood of a car he told me that the most important thing that you need to know is that if it's rock and roll, the lyrics can't make sense.

And that the moment you start trying to make sense, you kill the rock and roll. I thought that was pretty funny but I think he has a good point.

In developing the lyric I think that the more you can work with the struggle that's going on and the way people are struggling, and striving and trying to deal with their struggles, the more powerful the lyrics will be, but that's just a matter of trying your hand at a couple of different approaches, so that you really bring out the poignant aspect of the human struggle element.

But I think that all the work will be worth the effort, because I think you're really on to something with this one.

I can see you crafting something here that could be genuinely and authentically powerful.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Izzy
Hi Herb.
Nice song and your piano parts are good. It is a highly emotive song and I believe that it requires a real person to
convey the passion of its message.

btw Did you try POPPNOL.STY (Pop Piano Liverpool Ballad) slow tempo around 60-65 ?

Thanks Izzy. I did try a number of styles. probably not that specific one.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by laurent4114
Hello
I think you did well to follow your instinct because the voice piano pairing works very well. Solaria's voice is very well mastered. Honestly, you can barely hear the bass and I had trouble differentiating the two versions. It's a good song and you show that with a few instruments you can do beautiful things.
Laurent

Thanks. I've been doing a few fairly sparse things here recently. I like it. I'm thinking about reworking this but still pondering what exactly I'll do.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Herb, welcome back! This is a really nice song, and you've done some great voice programming here. Really like your piano part, and don't think BiaB can do anything as sweetly nuanced as what you've done here. In my view the bass doesn't add anything, but it's barely there anyway. But LOVE the tune!

Thanks Ron. Yeah, I agree. BB is great and can do a lot.... but it lacks the finer things at times. I agree on the bass and will probably not use that version.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
My goodness what a song!! and more than that, what a voice. I could listen to her sing all day. Masterfully done.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
haha, I pressed play before reading your song description expecting to hear your voice in there, was a bit of a shock to hear the female vocal wink

Herb, this is excellent! Just a wonderfully written, emotive song. Vocal is superb, you have certainly mastered the synth vocals. Nice piano too, also liked the pad. Listened to both and prefer the first, the bass isn't adding anything the song needs IMHO.

Really good, very much enjoyed.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by MarioD
Herb, I really couldn't decide which version was better.
Personally I think upping the volume of the pad and the pad and bass would improve the song, but that is just my opinion. Note I listened with both my near field monitors and my AKG headphones.
Regardless this is a very good song.
Great job on that synth vocal.

Mario, thanks for listening. I was trying to keep the synth parts low but..... I'm still pondering about another mix.
Glad you like the song

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rayc
It sounds fabulous but the inflection of grief struck me as a bit odd.

Ray, thanks for listening. Yeah.... I caught that too but somehow neglected a fix. I still have some work left to do with this so..... There's always hope

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Nice job on the piano.
I listened to the version with the bass but couldn't really hear the bass (on quality speakers). Bass isn't really necessary here, but a piano with more depth would help (this one sounds like it it would be great in a lo-fi production - but that's all subjective).
The melody on the chorus is the really nice. Best thing about the song.

Floyd. Thanks for your insight. The bass is certainly there but intentionally low. With a fatter sounding piano it wouldn't need a bass in it. I'm working on that.
I'm glad you like the melody of the chorus
I appreciate you.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,923
Posts738,927
Members38,620
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ruskate6, shredder11205, wesdean, Mike Dunn, NETH TANYANG
38,620 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 156