So, some of you know I train dogs in Human Remains Detection. HRD for short. We work with Law enforcement on missing persons, cold cases, and even historic grave searches to locate unmarked graves.

Right after Christmas, 5 friends decided it would be fun to go kayaking on the rain swollen river and run the rapids. They all entered the rapids and were quickly dumped into the very cold and turbulent water. They floated out of the rapids all having lost their boats. 2 headed to shore and got out, 3 headed to an island. Only 2 of the 3 made it out and the last one was seen slipping and going back into the water and went under. Swift water rescue got the 2 off the island but deemed the river too dangerous to search.

Day 2, the river was still too dangerous and searchers were used on the banks and woods.

Day 3, our team got the call and we showed up. The river had fallen about 5 feet and was deemed safe enough to put searchers and dogs in the zodiac boats. We were told where the missing boater was last seen. Several dogs were put out before we were sent out. We were the 3rd HRD K9 team on the water. We headed upstream towards the rapids, about 20 feet off the island. As we reached a certain point, my dog Lilly had what we call a "Change of Behavior" aka COB. The boat pilot also noticed it and I instructed him to circle out and back through the area again. Lilly quickly went back to normal and as soon as we circled back through the area again, she had another COB. We marked the location on GPS. We continued to the rapids and crossed, drifting back the other side of the river. As we got below the marked area, the pilot took us back in again for a third pass and once again, Lilly had the COB.

The search was called off for 2 days.... New Years eve and New Years day. On Jan 2nd, they started the search again and while I wasn't there, I believe they put another dog into the marked area and then ran side scan sonar through the area. They found the missing boater. 15 feet down on the bottom, exactly where several dogs said he was.

I was so proud of my dog Lilly. When you go boating, or just around water, wear a PFD. Only 2 of the boaters were wearing one and none of them were dressed to go in the water.

Things like this is why we train.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.