PG Music Home
Posted By: tumbaobass Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 12/18/23 04:46 PM
I would like to request that PG take some interest in creating this style and its sub genres as well as perhaps adding real tracks played by world class musicians that specialize in this incredibly fascinating music
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 12/18/23 07:01 PM
Greetings. I'm not familiar with the Brazilian music genre called Choro. I also have no idea what musicians would be a good choice to create some RealTracks. Can you provide some links that demonstrate Choro music and suggest some musicians?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 12/19/23 04:18 AM
Jim, I like this video because she explains that Choro predates samba, which predates Bossa Nova. Not all of these players are Brazilian but to my ears it sounds authentic. See if this helps. While Anat Cohen is an outstanding jazz player, I think this music can often sound like it's a type of Brazilian classical music. It's fast and intricate, with whirlwind melodies by instruments like guitar and accordion and sometimes a horn.

Some artists names would be Sivuca and Hermeto. Many jazz players who perform samba might throw in a choro; it makes quite an instrumental showpiece technically.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 12/19/23 02:15 PM
Thanx for that Matt. I have never heard of Choro before this thread. It is very intricate music.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 12/19/23 05:09 PM
Intricate is a very good description! It has all the speed you could want, on top of the complex harmony used in Brazilian music.

It’s very hard to play this on a trumpet: you run out of air quickly!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 12/19/23 08:09 PM
Thanks for the response Matt. Interesting stuff and I'm sure the video will give PG Music a better idea of what tumbaobass is requesting.

I hope tumbaobass responds and provides additional information about his suggestion while confirming the video is a good example of what he is requesting.

I believe the more information PG Music has to work with the better chance there is of getting what is requested.
Posted By: IvanSilva Re: Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 04/26/24 10:40 AM
HI, greetings from Brasil. Choro music should indeed deserve some attention from PG Music. This an example, "Receita de samba", composed by Jacob do Bandolim, one of the great players in choro.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Brazilian Musical Style Choro - 04/27/24 11:53 PM
This is very nice. You can also find many examples at even faster tempos, usually without the wind instruments (although clarinet and flute are possible). The guitar, mandolin, and accordion are great for this style at breakneck tempos. 😎
© PG Music Forums