PG Music Home
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Creep - 04/24/24 08:40 PM
This is a cover of one of my favorite love songs, 'Creep' by Radiohead.
It's my first cover ever.

Link: Creep

I've wanted to cover this song for a long time, but my voice isn't up to the task (being a baritone I can't sing that high), and I wanted to be sure I can make Solaria sing it well enough to do the original justice.
I think the time is right now.

Enjoy, and feedback of any kind (the good, the bad and the ugly) is very welcome!

As always, a big thank you to Marty for taking the time to listen to the demo and for his words of encouragement.

Some technical information:
Style: BACH_1.STY

The band:
Piano: Brain Sebastian Bach + parts from the original piano of this style
Guitars: Brainy van Halen
Strings: Brain van Beethoven
Synths: Brain-Michel Jarre

Vocals: Solaria with BG vocals from Cong
Posted By: DrDan Re: Creep - 04/24/24 10:23 PM
Damn good job. Congrats on the effort and results.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Creep - 04/25/24 01:00 AM
Well.. not familiar with the original piece, but regardless, this Solaria thing sounds amazing. Kudos.

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Creep - 04/25/24 11:21 PM
Yeah, that's a great cover of that song... So well arranged and mixed. The Synth V vocal is superb.

Bob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Creep - 04/26/24 01:40 PM
A brilliant arrangement, a brilliant vocal (and the effort you obviously put in to make it sound so extraordinarily good)

Tops!
Posted By: Chris37 Re: Creep - 04/27/24 09:48 AM
Hi B.D.Thomas,
I guess it wasn't easy to find the right voice for this fabulous song.
The range is so wide...
But you got it.
Kudos to you!
I like very much the orange lyrics which are on the video.
Is it possible to know which software you use for it?
Thanks for posting this cover,
Christian
Posted By: DC Ron Re: Creep - 04/27/24 11:18 AM
Really nicely done. The vocal sounds unreal, not in a bad way, just in a perfect way. One of the all time most beautiful chord progressions, with an interesting history of lawsuits. So it goes...
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Creep - 04/27/24 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by DrDan
Damn good job. Congrats on the effort and results.
Thanks Dan for listening and your comment.
Much appreciated smile[Linked Image]
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Creep - 04/28/24 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by cubanpete
Well.. not familiar with the original piece, but regardless, this Solaria thing sounds amazing. Kudos.

Cheers

Mike B.
Thanks Mike.
I recommend listening to the original too, even if it's a bit atypical of what Radiohead usually do.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Creep - 04/29/24 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by rsdean
Yeah, that's a great cover of that song... So well arranged and mixed. The Synth V vocal is superb.

Bob
Thanks Bob!
Of course, it's a little easier if the original song is already fantastic.
Not even I can make a mess of it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Creep - 04/29/24 10:46 PM
WOW! That was outstanding.
A perfect cover!
The vocal sounds so organic.
Loved it.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Creep - 04/30/24 10:51 AM
Really top notch work on this, Brian, production is pure perfection.

You took a great song and totally made it your own, which is what a good cover should do IMHO.

Well done!
Posted By: gman97040 Re: Creep - 04/30/24 04:10 PM
Nice cover. You made it your own song. Great vocals and mix.
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Creep - 04/30/24 06:02 PM
I always liked hearing different versions of the song Creep. This one is incredible. Solaria sounds spot on, she gives a incredible performance. Especially when she hits her high register. Fantastic !!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Creep - 04/30/24 08:05 PM
Brain, I already was a great fan of your music, but oh, I enjoyed this song a lot, or more than that!
Wonderful how you can let your AI singer Solaria sing heavenly, even though she is a creep and a weirdo!
Great performance!

And funny to see al those Brains helped you with the song...

Hans
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Creep - 05/02/24 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
A brilliant arrangement, a brilliant vocal (and the effort you obviously put in to make it sound so extraordinarily good)

Tops!
Thanks Audiotrack for your nice comment.
The vocals were indeed a bit more work than usual, but my approach to the arrangement was the same as I usually use with guitars: use WAY too many instruments (here: full string ensemble, brass, woodwinds, timpani and whatnot) and remove instruments until it fits the song.
The violin, viola and cello (and some hidden synths) have survived smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Creep - 05/02/24 07:55 PM
Amazing work all the way around.
Stunning use of the synths.
We listened/watched several times to catch all the cool phrasing.
Epic production and vid.

Wow!

J&B
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Creep - 05/09/24 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Chris37
Hi B.D.Thomas,
I guess it wasn't easy to find the right voice for this fabulous song.
The range is so wide...
But you got it.
Kudos to you!
I like very much the orange lyrics which are on the video.
Is it possible to know which software you use for it?
Thanks for posting this cover,
Christian
Thank you Christian for your kind comment.
The vocal range of this song is indeed very wide and I wanted it to be sung without falsetto, so I had to transpose it down 3 (I think) semitones to make it sound acceptable.
The good thing is that with BIAB it is trivial to transpose an entire song within a few minutes.

The lyrics are done with Handwriter, but all the blink and orange colors and stuff is done with my main video-software, Magic Music Visuals
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Creep - 05/09/24 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Really nicely done. The vocal sounds unreal, not in a bad way, just in a perfect way. One of the all time most beautiful chord progressions, with an interesting history of lawsuits. So it goes...
Thanks Ron, glad you like it.
You have no idea how many (slightly) detuned parts I've already added to reduce the perfection smile

BTW, I'm not afraid of being sued. Both the YouTube and Spotify release have all the original authors on them, so they'll get all the money if my version ever makes any money, which I doubt.
Posted By: rayc Re: Creep - 05/17/24 08:14 AM
I like the arrangement but, for me, the synth vox let it down. They're good but not quite there for me. The high parts were the best vocal part & you did a fab job on that.
When I bought The Bends upon release it had a companion CD Iron Lung with a stellar voice & acoustic guitar rendition of this song...ALMOST as powerful as the original.
© PG Music Forums