Go To
Songwriting
I
Izzy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I
I'm new here so forgiveness if this subject has been raised before.
With AI platforms such as Suno, Udio and Sonato improving by the hour I ask: Do songwriters have a future?
At the moment Udio.com is beta testing and is free to use and I am very impressed with what it can do.
Bob Doyle has a very interesting UTube channel and this video my be of interest to BIAB aficionados.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The thing is..... to an experienced writer, currently the AI programs are still fairly obvious. They are full of the kinds of things beginning writers do.... for example.... predictable rhymes, poor rhyme choices, cliches, a lack of original thought, and certinaly they don't have the insight like a human does to create stories and throw in things that on their surface don't seem to fit, but then absolutely do fit.

I like to use AI as a starting point to get me past that dreaded blank page staring me down. From there, I see if I can make that start make sense.

AI isn't going away, and it's going to be getting better. So, my thought is that I should learn to use it as a tool just like any other tool I use to create and record music.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
I
Izzy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I
Good commentary Herb. I feel the same way.
I like what you said about the dreaded blank page.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Guitarhacker
AI isn't going away, and it's going to be getting better. So, my thought is that I should learn to use it as a tool just like any other tool I use to create and record music.

Exactly. I remember when Acid loops came out and many musicians were complaining that they would replace them. Loops eventually evolved to the point where many musicians use them today. I think the same will happen with AI. Just remember nail guns did not replace hammers. YMMV

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Did BIAB replace musicians? No! Er, wait, yes it did!

So, to answer your question..."Do songwriters have a future?" I'd say yes, but maybe not in commercial songwriting! "Would you like fries with that burger?"

But seriously, very few of us songwriters had much of a future in commercial songwriting anyway so AI prolly only affects a small group.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Songwriters definitely have a future, but one in which they can't make a living from their art.
Before AI, only a few could, and their numbers will drop dramatically.

But that's not the end of the world, it just means that the technical elements of music become less important and ideas, creativity, imagination and fantasy take center stage.
Songwriters are being put more in the role of a producer.

And when the final power goes out, there's always someone who still knows how to play a sing along song on an acoustic around the campfire.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
It probably depends on what level of quality the listeners require from song lyrics.
If lyrics do not matter in modern music well, who knows.

A good songwriter will probably outrank AI generated lyrics considering that AI is learning from what is out there today and what is coming out there as new lyrics generated by AI or todays songwriters. And considering the low quality of much lyrics today the new output by AI will probably degenerate further.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
That part with Rick Beato in the YouTube posted on this thread where he was reciting the lyrics to Across the Universe gave me chills.

SO good, and so relevant.

Yes, that is what great lyrics sound like. Why not try and use that as an example? It's up to you. You can write whatever you want.

I have stated this many times but in terms of commercial music I have read that only a very small handful of aspiring songwriters (about 75 or something in that range) got cuts on Nashville albums each year in the last decade or so and the average take-home pay from songwriter royalties was $90 a year. About 250,000 were trying each year in Nashville alone. Maybe 5 million or so nationwide. Maybe 25 million, who knows. Those aren't great odds.

There is no such thing as commercial songwriting anymore and there hasn't been for a long time. It has nothing to do with AI.

Producers write all of the music if not the artist and there's usually seven or eight people and it's always the same seven or eight people.

On the bright side, for people who want to create their own music, and that's really all there is for Independent artists, the amount of technology to produce your own music is absolutely phenomenal. Mind boggling. Just one example is the Abbey Road collection of plugins. Even the Abbey Road engineers admit that they can't tell the difference between using the Abbey Road plugins and being in Abbey Road. I think that's pretty extraordinary. I think it's pretty extraordinary that Andrew Scheps mixes and masters all of his stuff inside the box with the very same plugins that all of us have access to.

Music today is really what you want to create.

You can literally do whatever you want and put it out there and if people like it they'll listen to it.

This is a great time in history just to focus on producing the greatest music that you possibly can and stop worrying about all of the negative stuff. It will all take care of itself.

Just focus on your tunes, that's what I say.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
It's funny ... sometimes I treat the lyrics as a tone poem and don't care about the words; sometimes the lyrics are vital.

I've long loved the lyrics by Pete Sinfield on the King Crimson songs. Edgy, surreal, powerful, attention-grabbing. The first song that came to mind was "The Letters", to which I listened, before checking his song list that reminded me of so many others. There are a couple of other things that stand out to me about the song ... with hindsight it's quite distinctly jazz, and the dynamic range, in comparison with modern productions is absolutely huge, as it was on many of their songs from that time.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by David Snyder
That part with Rick Beato in the YouTube posted on this thread where he was reciting the lyrics to Across the Universe gave me chills.

SO good, and so relevant.

Yes, that is what great lyrics sound like. Why not try and use that as an example? It's up to you. You can write whatever you want.

I have stated this many times but in terms of commercial music I have read that only a very small handful of aspiring songwriters (about 75 or something in that range) got cuts on Nashville albums each year in the last decade or so and the average take-home pay from songwriter royalties was $90 a year. About 250,000 were trying each year in Nashville alone. Maybe 5 million or so nationwide. Maybe 25 million, who knows. Those aren't great odds.

There is no such thing as commercial songwriting anymore and there hasn't been for a long time. It has nothing to do with AI.

Producers write all of the music if not the artist and there's usually seven or eight people and it's always the same seven or eight people.

On the bright side, for people who want to create their own music, and that's really all there is for Independent artists, the amount of technology to produce your own music is absolutely phenomenal. Mind boggling. Just one example is the Abbey Road collection of plugins. Even the Abbey Road engineers admit that they can't tell the difference between using the Abbey Road plugins and being in Abbey Road. I think that's pretty extraordinary. I think it's pretty extraordinary that Andrew Scheps mixes and masters all of his stuff inside the box with the very same plugins that all of us have access to.

You can literally do whatever you want and put it out there and if people like it they'll listen to it.

This is a great time in history just to focus on producing the greatest music that you possibly can and stop worrying about all of the negative stuff. It will all take care of itself.

👍👍👍

J&B

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by David Snyder
[...]
On the bright side, for people who want to create their own music, and that's really all there is for Independent artists, the amount of technology to produce your own music is absolutely phenomenal. Mind boggling.
[...]

That's the first time that I think that this forum needs a 'Like' button!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I know it is pretty old school but we can still say we like what David has to say. Hell, we can even say we like David.Here is an example.
Hey David, I like what you had to say. Oh, an by the way I still like you!

Contrary to to popular belief, English language still works...lol Go ahead, write a complete sentence.

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Nashville Staff writers are making money . I guess they'll adjust on the AI that everyone is talking about .
I love Rick Beato , but he reminds me some times of grandpa and all new music sucks...at least on some vids he makes .
Comparing some new tune ( Which I loved ) To John Lennon , apples and oranges. 1965 and now 2024.
I want to buy his stuff on theory . He's real good on everything with music . I'm sure legitimate publishers are getting a ear full on AI ,

Last edited by Elvis Nash; 16 hours ago.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,799
Posts737,420
Members38,587
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
minimashi, pharmaplug1, EricQP, JelleY, Akzz
38,586 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 169